24 October 2007

Iran and PMQs

Hansard today:

Mr. Michael Meacher (Oldham, West and Royton) (Lab): "Given the increasingly belligerent noises from the White House, will my right hon. Friend give a clear commitment that if there were a United States or Israeli commitment that if there were a United States or Israeli military attack on Iran he would not support it militarily, logistically or politically?"

The Prime Minister: "We pursue a diplomatic course of action. I believe that we will have to step up our sanctions over the next few weeks. I have already told other countries that we are prepared to lead the way to a third resolution of sanctions, and at the same time support tougher European Union sanctions. I will rule nothing out, but I can tell the hon. Gentleman that I believe that both the diplomatic route and the sanctions are having an effect and, if stepped up, can have an even bigger effect in the future."

No comments: