In elections in New Zealand, their Green Party (with 6.4% of the vote) increased their seats from 6 to 8. They are now the third-largest party in their parliament!
One of the reasons why we want Caroline Lucas (Brighton Pavillion), and hopefully Adrian Ramsay (Norwich South) and Darren Johnson (Lewisham), to be elected to Parliament is that Green MPs get things done.
Some of the New Zealand Green MP's achievements include:
- improving NZ's Emissions Trading Scheme, including creating a Billion dollar fund to make homes warm, dry and cost-effective to heat
- ensuring legislation for youth wages and flexible working hours
- helping to pass New Zealand's first energy efficiency legislation
- helping to pass New Zealand's first waste reduction legislation
- keeping commercial GM crops out of New Zealand's soil
- increasing New Zealand's commitment to overseas aid
- helping to keep New Zealand troops out of Iraq, and,
- increasing funding for public transport, cycling, and walking; vehicle fuel-economy labeling; and an agreement that fuel economy standards will be introduced soon.